Sutta vazhakkai stir fry recipe is prepared by fire roasting plantain directly over flame and then stir fried along with fresh ground spices. Served as accompaniment for rice.
I got this recipe last year from my friend Smitha who already have shared few interesting recipes. One of my most favorite of hers is kadapa karam dosa. Somehow took this long to try it out. Plantain is good for you as it is full of fibre and mom says its good for stomach issues. Due to it’s gastric quality, many people avoid it, but using right spices along while cooking will not give you any side effects. You can check my vazhakkai curry with fresh ground spices for example.
I found this sutta vazhakkai stir fry very interesting to try because, it was different from our usual way of cooking. Never used sesame seeds in stir fries before. Also the preparation is also not as the usual process.
If you are looking for an alternate process to cook vazhakkai, you can pressure cook / steam it.
Vazhakkai stir fry step by step:
- Roast plantain over direct flame. Let the flame be medium. Turn over all the sides in equal intervals for even roasting. Once all the sides are roasted, keep aside for cooling. The whole skin should be looking black all over.
- After cooled completely, use a knife or just peel off the skin of plantain. Make sure no burnt part is stuck to the plantain. if it is there, wash it off. Cut into cubes and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai with a tsp of oil. Add 4 red chilli, 1 tsp urad dal and 1 tsp chana dal. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds.
- Roast until dal turns golden and crisp. Remove in a plate for cooling. Once cooled down, place the roasted items in mixer. Add required salt, 1/2 tsp packed tamarind and 1/4 tsp turmeric.
- Powder this first and add cubed plantain. Use pulse button and powder coarsely.
- Again heat kadai with 1 tsp of oil. Add 1 tsp sesame seeds followed by chopped onion.
- Stir fry for a minute. Add ground mixture. mix well.
- Roast in medium flame for 6-7 mins, stirring every 2 mins. Drizzle oil as needed. Stir in a scrambled way so that the mixture evenly roasted. Once it is completely non sticky, switch off the stove.
Serve as accompaniment for rice.